Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Which acoustic guitar to buy for a complete beginner?




EpicBuddy


Hi, I'm 16, and i've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Already I play the drums and piano pretty well, so playing the guitar would be a good addition. Now, since I have no experience in buying acoustic guitars, like what brands are good and what not, I would like some input please. My price limit is about $250.00 which I hope can buy a good sounding acoustic guitar.


Answer
Some cheap 'beginner' guitars are almost impossible to play. Of course if you didn't play already, you'd think it was -you-. 8^) So I would recommend taking along someone who plays to try the guitar out for you. You ought to be able to get a decent one for $250.

I know there are some spectacular-looking deals on EBay, but you don't get to play them. So if you do buy EBay, make sure they have a good return policy.

The important thing is the 'action', how high the strings are above the fretboard. Too high and you'll kill your fingers, too low and they buzz against the frets. Also you want to sight down the fretboard and make sure the neck is nice and straight, not warped from the tension of the strings. Most modern guitars have a steel reinforcement rod built into the neck, and on some it can even be tightened to straightened the neck. Also important is how good the guitar sounds, but that's less of a consideration in a first guitar. After you learn to play, you go around playing guitars and you'll really notice the difference.

The guitar is probably the easiest instrument to self-teach, which I think accounts for its popularity. (Well, maybe a uke would be easier). The hardest thing about learning to play guitar is building up strength in your left hand, to hold the strings down. At first you can't practice for more than 10 minutes at a time before it just gets really painful (but you can do it more than once a day). And if it's a steel-string guitar, you also have to build up callouses on your fingertips. I used to teach guitar (not serious, just in a parks and rec dept.) and most of my students came to me after a few days and said there was something wrong with their hands. So have faith, stick with it.

How to play an acoustic guitar for a complete beginner?




Demos V


Okay I don't know how to read notes, chords, tabs or etc. Hell I don't even know what I talking about or if it even makes sense. I don't know any guitar lingo either so bare with me. I don't know how to tune it either, are the strings supposed to be tight or kinda loose? Bacially I'm a sad and lost puppy with a guitar and can't even play it...Desperately needing help! Are there any sites with videos showing how to play step by step and showing what is what on the guitar? And my fingertips are in pain when I play is it normal or am I not doing it right? O_o


Answer
Hey, you're not alone. I've been there. Don't let it intimidate you - You'll pick it up before you know it.

1 - Take your time getting to know your guitar. Get used to the way the strings feel, the different sounds it makes when you pluck it in different areas. Make friends with it - It loves you! :)

2 - As for the strings being tight or loose, it really depends on the guitar, but for the most part, the strings should be somewhat tight. If you pluck a string and it flaps against the fretboard (that's the neck), then it's too loose.

3 - Tune your guitar. Here's the easy part. Get an electric tuner for ten dollars and it will practically tune itself for you. All you need to do is turn those little turny-things (tuning knobs) at the top of your guitar. In order from the very thickest strings, they are named E, A, D, G, B, E. Shouldn't take very long and you've got yourself a pretty sounding guitar!

4 - After you're all tuned up, find a book or website (I recommend guitarnoise.com) with pictures of basic chords. Start out with the basics, like Em (that's E Minor), Am, G, C, etc. Play them slowly at first, and get them sounding nice and pretty without any buzzing before you try anything too fancy.

5 - As for the pain, yeah, it hurts just a bit when starting out, but believe me, it's well worth it! Besides, before you know it, your fingers will develop calluses, and you'll barely feel a thing!

6 - As for lessons, I'd recommend first getting comfortable by yourself on the guitar. Get to know your chords. Play them well. Learn a few simple songs. Then, when you feel you've done what you can on your own, find an experienced teacher that will help bring out your strengths.

7 - Notes, tabs and sheet music can all come later. Don't even worry about that right now. Just start making music and the rest will fall into place.

Remember, everyone starts somewhere. Stick with it, and your guitar will be your best friend for life. Best of luck to ya!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Which acoustic guitar to buy for a complete beginner?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment