Friday, June 20, 2014

Teach myself guitar Help?




Sophi Y


I have a guitar and I am planning on going to buy a music book soon and I have a chord sheet for reference. What are some pointers for me to learn easier? I already know how to play piano (again self taught) and played saxaphone for 2 years. I also have a few questions for acoustic guitar players.

Do you use a pick?
How do you use a capo and how much are they (can you go without one)?
What are some simple country or pop songs to play?
About how long did it take you?

Thanks in advance!



Answer
Welcome to the wonderful world of guitars! :D

I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 8 years. At this point, I still consider myself a "beginner"... although perhaps I'm a more advanced beginner at that.

It took me just one day to learn a few basic open chords and a very basic strumming pattern. But then again, I spent that whole day in my room just learning those. (I can get a little obsessive when I learn things). Five hours into that, I was already strumming and singing along to a couple of very easy songs. But I would not recommend spending too much time playing acoustic guitar when you're first starting out. It can hurt... especially if you're playing with a steel-string. It took me about a year to get familiar with most of the commonly used chords. It took me about four more years to get to the point where I could figure out how to play songs by ear. But perhaps, if I'd practiced more regularly, it would've taken me less time to get to there - I was often too busy with school.

Since you already have experience with other instruments, guitar will probably come easier to you... :)

Also, are you learning guitar from sheet music/standard notation? I learned the "informal" way... through tablature, chord sheets, shapes and patterns. I can't read music at all.. lol. That's another factor that could affect how long it takes to learn.

On picks:
I use one. But it depends on what song I want to play. I think using a pick gives a clearer, crisp and "chunkier" sound. Also, strumming a steel-string guitar just kills my fingernails. So, if I'm going to play a song that requires a louder, aggressive sound, or a lot of strumming, I am definitely going to use a pick. If a song sounds better with fingerpicking, or if it's easier to play it that way, then I'll put down the pick and use my fingers. For other songs, I use a combination- I'll use the pick in parts that are strummed, and then I'll hold it in a certain way to free up my other fingers so I can fingerpick on other parts. It's a bit tricky, but it can be done. ;) There are also thumbpicks and fingerpicks available, but I haven't tried them yet.

On capos:
How do you use a capo? It depends on what capo you want to use. So far, I have used two kinds: the "strip capo" and the "clamp capo". The strip capo is kind of like a belt. It has a nylon strip attached to a metal bar with a piece of rubber on top. You wrap it around the neck of the guitar (like a belt) at the fret you want to capo, with the rubber piece face down on the strings, and fasten it... With the "clamp capo", you "clamp" it on as the name suggests.. It's difficult for me to describe in words.. haha.. Perhaps if you do a websearch, you'll find pictures and detailed instructions. :)

I live in the Philippines, and I believe I got my strip capo for the equivalent of about $4 US. The clamp capo was like $10.

Can you go without a capo? Yes. But without a capo, depending on the key of the songs you play in, you may have to rely more on barre chords. Barre chords can be a bit more difficult to play than "open chords". Open chords are chords that are played by leaving at least one string unfretted (or "open"), and they're usually the first/basic chords you learn when starting out on guitar. With a capo, you can play these open-stringed chords higher up the neck of the guitar, instead of barring them. That makes playing a bit easier...

Personally, I use a capo only because I like the sound of open chords. Open chords ring out longer. Without a capo, I could play the same songs with barre chords, and it would sound just fine.... but it would definitely have a different sound to it.

Simple songs to play:
- I wish I could recommend some pop and country songs for you, but I don't really know which songs you like specifically. The first songs I started playing were "Zombie" by The Cranberries, and "Leaving on a Jet Plane". From there, I looked up the chords of songs from my favorite artists. If a particular song looked too complicated for me, I'd just save that for later and try to find an easier song from that artist. If I couldn't find any songs from that artist easy enough for me to play at the time... I'd just move on to another artist.. :)) Then I'd come back for them later.

Once you have the basics down... try learning one song every week. That's what a teacher once told me...

Best wishes.. :)

How much are Acoustic Guitars?




rawr


Hi.I've been really wanting to learn something to play and I found the Guitar rather interesting. I really dont have anything thing to do this summer (I just moved here) so I decieded using that time to learn the Acoustic Guitar.How much do they cost?


Answer
Hello rawr, and welcome to the wonderful world of guitar playing!

Here's a link to a great acoustic guitar for less than $200.

http://riffmyguitar.weebly.com/yamaha-guitar-offer.html

Learning to play the guitar should be easy and fun. One of the best ways to learn today is with online lessons. You really can learn how to play the guitar in just 15 minutes a day.

You probably could spend hours and hours of time online searching for "free" guitar lessons. On the other hand, you might just as well check out websites that offer lessons at very reasonable rates (compared to private lessons).

Visit: http://www.BestOnlineGuitarCourse.com or

http://19836lklokiz7ueye5tiolopc2.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=ACEGUITARLESSONS or

http://8ea82pehqhgycmd6na769q4wek.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=ADULTGUITARLESSONS

Do your homework. Do your due diligence. Have Fun.
 
Also you might want to look at:
 
http://goarticles.com/article/Best-online-guitar-course-Fact-or-Fantasy/4057915/
 
http://www.squidoo.com/i-was-a-closet-guitarist

If you play electric guitar, having a good guitar to play helps with motivation.
 
Hereâs a great electric guitar for under $500: Epiphone LP Standard Plain-Top Les Paul Collection Electric Guitar, Heritage Cherryburst. You can see this guitar at:
 
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Standard-Plain-Top-Collection-Cherryburst/dp/B000VTH1MU/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1297771134&sr=1-2
 
or (for just over $500) the Epiphone LP Standard Plus-Top Les Paul Collection Electric Guitar, Trans Blue. You can see this guitar at:
 
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Standard-Plus-Top-Collection-Electric/dp/B0002H06JG/ref=sr_1_11?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1297771134&sr=1-11

Best of luck in learning how to play the guitar!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Teach myself guitar Help?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment