Saturday, June 21, 2014

Question about acoustic/electric guitars.?




CutiePie:)


I know nothing about guitars... I'm new to all of this, but I really want to learn how to play.

But I found this really pretty and cheap guitar (like 200 dollars), but it's acoustic/electric. I just want to play acoustic... is it the same thing? or does it sound different? and what is the battery for it for?

please help, I'm so confused haha

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-V-Series-V70CE-Dreadnought-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102567492-i1150613.gc#customer-reviews

would it sound the same as this one?
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Epiphone/AJ-100.aspx

I just want a cut-away shape though, which is why i was thinking about that acoustic electric guitar.

I sound so lame.



Answer
An acoustic-electric guitar is an acoustic guitar with a pickup built in so you can play it like a regular acoustic guitar, but if you want you can also plug it into an amplifier and rattle the windows. (Some musicians, like some motorcyclists, just think louder is better). If you don't plug it into an amp, then it's exactly the same as an acoustic guitar.

These guitars look very similar, except for the cutouts. The brands are very good, but the prices make me suspicious. The thing is, a lot of 'starter' guitars are almost impossible to play, because beginners buy them based on price. They can't play anyway so a really good guitar and a really crappy one look about the same to them. But if you got a really bad one, really unplayable, you'd think it was -you-!

If I was buying a guitar and I didn't play, I would want to bring someone along who could play to evaluate the 'playability'. I don't understand how someone could buy a guitar over the Internet or mail order. I'd be very wary. If you go to a guitar store and pick up half a dozen guitars that are all the same price, you find that they all feel and sound different (Well, YOU might not notice, but a guitar player would.) It's the feel and sound that makes the difference, not the look or name or model number.

Anyway I don't mean to discourage you.

Best type of guitar pickup?




hope


I have a BlueRidge acoustic guitar and need a recommendation on what type of pickup to purchase.


Answer
Fishman, LR Baggs, Shadow and K&K are probably the best brands for acoustic guitar pickups. I have a Guild D4 guitar and got an LR Baggs Element piezo pickup put in under the saddle for about $125 and it works great and sounds great. It has a volume wheel that attaches inside the sound hole. I plugged into a K&K Pure Preamp and it was great. But you can get much better ones if you pay more.

If you want something quick, easy, and cheap that still sounds good though, I highly recommend the Fishman Rare Earth humbucking soundhole pickups (or the NeoD if you can't afford the Rare Earth). I had one of those before I got the LR Baggs installed. LR Baggs and Shadow also make good sound hole pickups, but I'd avoid the Dean Markley ones. I tried one of those and it hummed a lot and really didn't sound very good.

Since you didn't mention anything about price limits though, there are much better systems such as the Fisman Aura and Expression systems, which combine and blend various inputs such as piezos under the saddle, transducers on the soundboard, and internal microphones to allow you to get more realistic reproduction of the acoustic sound. You could spend several hundred dollars on some of those and the system is not just the pickups, but the internal preamp and electronics as well.

The best thing to do would be to try out some guitars that have the type of electronics you're thinking about. Granted they won't be exactly the same as your guitar, but it will give you an idea. Once you have a few in mind (there are hundreds to choose from), then do some research and read reviews on those specific ones.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Question about acoustic/electric guitars.?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment