Sunday, October 6, 2013

Can you take an acoustic guitar on a Greyhound Bus?

best acoustic guitar travel
 on ... Martin Acoustic Guitars >> Martin BackPacker Travel Acoustic Guitar
best acoustic guitar travel image



Steven


I'm traveling from Mobile, Alabama. To Birmingham, Alabama. And I was wondering can you bring an acoustic guitar with you? And do they charge extra? And also is there a chance it could get damage on the bus ride? I can't find anybody asking this on the internet. This is my first ever Bus ride.


Answer
The baggage policies for Greyhound are here: http://www.greyhound.com/en/ticketsandtravel/baggageinformation.aspx . You could put the guitar in a case and take it as checked baggage. Rather there would be a charge or not depends on whether you check another bag. Yes, it could get damaged. You'll need a good case to minimize the risk which wouldn't be all that high. You might be able to carry it onto the bus if you buy a separate ticket - I've seen people doing that with instruments on airplanes recently.

What type of acoustic guitar should I get?




Secaucus


I have been playing electric guitar for about 3 years now and I would say I'm at an intermediate level of playing. Recently, I've just been wanting to get an acoustic guitar. And I have been listening to a lot of folk and country and I think I want to pick it up and learn. I have a budget up to $350 max, lots of people recommend the Baby Taylor? How is the Baby Taylor? Does it have good quality and good sound? I'm not sure what I should get, but I'm open to any suggestions within my budget.


Answer
The Baby Taylor has a really nice sound, but it's a tiny guitar designed for traveling and portability. If you plan on playing at home, rather than at shows, it will probably serve you very well. I use one frequently for writing, since it fits nicely on the couch and saves me the trouble of getting out my full-size guitar. But if there's a chance you'll be playing publicly, there are better choices. Here's a video showing how small the Baby Taylor actually is, as well as how great it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v57fXKp5lY0

Ibanez has a model called Sage that's incredible and would be a bargain at three times the price. I picked one up and played it at Guitar Center and was amazed at how beautifully it played and sounded. It has a solid spruce top, so the sound is rich and resonant. And it has a thinner neck and lower action than most acoustics, which will make it more comfortable for you to transition from electric to acoustic, since electrics have much thinner necks. When I glanced at the price tag and saw that it was only $180, I thought it must be a mistake, since the Sage played and sounded as nice as guitars costing much more. I've always been a fan of Ibanez electrics, but had no idea how great their acoustics are until a few years ago. Turns out the acoustics are also built like rocks and sound beautiful.

I'll post a link to the Sage so you can read the reviews and see that I'm not exaggerating. But I'd recommend going to a guitar store and test driving a bunch of different brands, since there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all guitar. The neck widths vary greatly between brands (Ibanez being the thinnest, Gibson/Epiphone being the fattest), so if you handle a lot of different guitars, chances are you'll find that one brand just feels more comfortable and natural in your hands than others. A lot of players struggle when transitioning from electric to acoustic, since acoustic necks are so much fatter. Trust your instincts, since they'll serve you better than anyone else's opinion. Most guitarists are somewhat brand loyal, but that's only because we've found the guitars that best fit our requirements. My brother swears only Gibsons and Martins are worth owning, but I'm female and have small hands, so both brands are physically impossible for me to play. But Fender and Ibanez electrics and Ibanez acoustics feel like they were custom made for me. Ultimately, the way a guitar feels in your hands is more important than the name on the headstock.

Here's the link to the Sage at Musician's Friend:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SGT120NT-SAGE-SERIES-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512326




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can you take an acoustic guitar on a Greyhound Bus?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment