Saturday, October 12, 2013

Should I get my violin valued?

cheap acoustic guitars for sale uk
 on Acoustic Guitars For Sale 2013 - Full Reviews of Acoustic Guitars For ...
cheap acoustic guitars for sale uk image



Becca


If you know about the prices of violins in the UK, please answer!

I got my violin 7 or 8 years ago, and I think it cost £1-1.5k, plus a bow that at least does it justice. It's German, circa 1850-1880. Those are the only details I have, except that it has a lion's head for a scroll and I love it!
I'm just wondering how much it would sell for if I were to do a part exchange - my plan is to (possibly) buy a slightly cheaper acoustic instrument so that I can get an electric one too.

Any advice? Thanks :)
please only answer if you actually about this stuff, thanks



Answer
An instrument's true worth is not the same as it's trade-in value. There's certainly no harm in getting an appraisal for your violin, although I would use that more for insurance value than a re-sale guide. You know what you paid for the violin and bow...the value of a 150 yr old instrument probably hasn't doubled or anything in the past 8 years. As you know, every violin is different. Old German violins are generally of good quality, but certainly not rare. Back then, Germany pumped those things out the way China makes guitars today. You can't use eBay or other instruments as a guide...your violin is unique and it's value is in the construction, sound, and character, not the maker's name. (if it's even known) I know that it must have seemed like a lot of money when you bought it, but in the world of violins...at least by the values here in the US....your violin is just considered a mid-priced student model.

Music shoppes won't offer you anything close to what they hope to sell your violin for, because they need to make a profit. They also tend to shy away from deals that don't involve trading up.....in other words, they like to see come cash as part of the deal. If you sell the violin in a private sale, the buyer will be hoping to get a better deal than at a string shoppe and may even want to get their own appraisal before paying out that much money...I would. So getting your instrument appraised isn't a bad idea...just don't expect to be able to leverage the full appraised value into a sale or trade. Use it as a very loose validation as to the replacement value. Regardless of what a slip of paper says, the true monetary value of your violin is what somebody will actually pay you for it.

My gut feeling is to hold on to the violin if you like it, and save for an electric one.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get my violin valued?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment