Thursday, May 15, 2014

I am looking for a looper for an acoustic guitar?




Becca


My Boyfriend mentioned that he would love a looper. Unfortunately I don't know much about music and all. So I am curious to know what I should get him... What the best is out there? I was looking at a Jamman, and I heard that the boss brand is good. Any suggestions?? I will be getting it for him for Christmas and I would like to keep it under $250


Answer
I've had three loopers and they all have their good & bad points. Right now I own the Boss RC20 loop station and it's really easy to use and the sound quality is almost perfect. It has some things I don't like, but for the money ($225.00 on ebay) it's pretty good. I had a Boomerang phrase sampler too, and it was amazing. Very easy and fun to use, but cost 400 bucks used. I ended up getting rid of it because setting it up live on unfamiliar sound systems was a total nightmare. Finally, I also had a Line 6 DL4, (300 dollar range) which was the best sound quality and easiest for me to use, but it blew up on a gig and I'm left with the Boss. KT Tunstall uses an Akai Headrush and it sounds perfect and looks easy to use. And from what I've seen, they are under the 250 dollar range too. That might be a good one to check out.

In short, there is no "best". But I'd check out the Akai Headrush, and the Boss is pretty decent for the money.

Live performing rig question! HELP!?




Rob


I have:
-a mic
-an acoustic/electric guitar
-an a/b box
-an akai E2 headrush delay/looper pedal (has one input, but 5 outputs)
-a marshall acoustic amp with two separate channels

NOW, here's the tricky part:

can i run both my guitar and mic signals into the a/b box, combine them, send them into the single input on the looper pedal, and finally split them again by plugging one cable from one of the loopers 5 outputs into one channel of my amp, and another cable from another of the 5 outputs into the other channel of my amp? Therefor, being able to loop both vocals AND guitar while being able to control them separately on my amp.

Is this possibly using this equipment, or have I completely gone mad?

I've seen videos on youtube of KT Tunstall somehow putting both her guitar/mic into the same looping pedal i own (so i know im not all crazy). How does she accomplish this? (for reference, type in "kt tunstall e2 headrush demonstration" on youtube)



Answer
If you want to control the guitar and a mic separately as they come out of the looper - you'd need a looper with multiple inputs and outputs. Such things exist they're really multiple digital delays with a common word/time clock to keep the outputs in sync.

You looper can't do that. Your "5 outputs" aren't really. In "tape echo" mode, you have 4 output heads and a dry signal out. That's if you want to send each "head" separately to a mixing board or tape machine.

In normal mode - 3 of the outputs are not operational - you have a dry output (basically a pass-through) and the "wet" or looped output.

Once two analog signals are combined, you can't split them back apart. So what you need is a simple analog mixer with

1- several input channels
2 - A separate A and B bus (can be Left/Right stereo bus as long as you can assign channels separately to them)
3 - A monitor bus
4 - A main bus

Inputs:
Mic Channel 1 -- Assign to Sub Mix A
Guitar Channel 2 -- Assign to Sub Mix B
WET looper output --- Feed back to Channel 3 - Assign to Sub Mix B

Effects send on Channel 1 and 2 --> input of looper

Output of looper --> instead of using the effects return (which is usually pre- EQ) bring back INTO the board channel 3 . Now you can treat it like any other input and assign to Submix B and also use the monitor output

Main Stereo Bus of your mixer --- goes to the house PA . This is your complete signal plus the output of the looper , mixed however you want.

Monitor Send -- feeds a vocal monitor system so you can hear your live vocal -- if you turn up the monitor mix on channel 3 (output of the looper) you'll get that in your vocal monitor as well

Bus A -- no external connection .. just feeds the main stereo bus of the mixer
Bus B -- pull off to go to your amp ... and to the main stereo bus of the mixer This is now amplifying your guitar AND the output of the looper on the stage

If you want another clean output - say to run your Mic into your stage amp as well ... just also assign it to Sub- B

That's about the best I can do. Your A/B box is not used in this scenario. You can get a nice little 6 channel mixer with the sends you need for around $ 1-200

Samson MDR624 $100 "6" channel (really 4 + 2 mono)
Mackie 802-VLZ3 $200 - "8" channel - Use the "Aux" send for the monitor in my set-up

www.sweetwater.com

A nice little mixer always comes in handy




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I am looking for a looper for an acoustic guitar?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment