Saturday, May 10, 2014

What is the Difference Between an Acoustic Guitar & a Folk Guitar?




Michael


What is the difference between a Acoustic Guitar & a Folk Guitar? Also, if you can please. Is it "an acoustic" or "a acoustic" ? Thanks.
Thanks. I meant why are they called "Folk"? If I go browse guitars i will find a category for "Acoustic" & "Folk". Why? Thanks again.



Answer
An acoustic guitar is any guitar that has a hollow chamber that makes sound entirely acoustically without need of amplification. There are lots of kinds, including steel string flattops, archtops, and classical (nylon string) guitars.

"Folk guitar" is essentially a meaningless term that is typically used to indicate an acoustic guitar with a smaller body than the more common dreadnought or jumbo size. Something like a grand concert or even parlor size acoustic guitar might be called a folk guitar. The term presumably comes from the fact that many folk musicians - myself included - prefer smaller body guitars.

Where does a guitar cable plug into an acoustic guitar?




Sadie C


I kind of feel like an idiot asking this... But I'm buying an M-Audio Fast Track USB thing to record my songs, and I think I have to plug my acoustic guitar into it? I know that I need an XLR connector for a microphone, but I don't quite understand where a guitar cable is supposed to go into my acoustic guitar... (I have almost no knowledge on the whole recording subject at all, I'm trying to learn some of it before I get started with it, haha).


Answer
An acoustic guitar by itself cannot be plugged in. You will need what's called an "acoustic-electric" guitar, or you will need a guitar pickup that fits in your acoustic guitar's sound hole. If you don't have electronics in your acoustic guitar, you'll know. If you don't have something built in you'll have to get an external pickup or just use a microphone to record from.

If you don't have built in electronics, visit a site like samash.com or musiciansfriend.com to order what you'll need.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is the Difference Between an Acoustic Guitar & a Folk Guitar?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment