Sunday, May 18, 2014

Where to buy a cheap Left-handed acoustic guitar?




Sammy


I just need one to learn on. I bought a left-handed electric guitar and have been trying to teach myself...but it just isn't working out. I want to take lessons but with an acoustic because I heard it is better to learn on one, (and I'd like to have one just to mess around with too).

Is this a good choice (from my local music store)

http://www.bertrandsmusic.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_5&products_id=87464

Please don't try to convince me to buy a right handed guitar, I just can't do it (have tried). And will the instructors be able to teach me since they are probably right handed players?
I'm very small (5'4 110 lbs).
Im 15 yrs/old.



Answer
First off, welcome to the world of guitars. Now down to business:

I'd honestly say learning on an electric (which is what I did) is A LOT better than acoustic because it will be easier to do chord changes, and you won't be as tired as you would on an acoustic. That's just my advice that is.

But, if you want to stick with an acoustic, I would really stress not getting a dreadnought guitar because dreadnought guitars are very big in size, and especially when your learning, it's not the best thing to get. I would recommend this one:

http://www.bertrandsmusic.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_5&products_id=89560

It's a very similar shape, but it's only 3/4 of the size of a full size dreadnought, and it's very cheap.

Although it would be very useful, being right handed has more advantages than left handed (i.e. 75% of guitars are right handed), and I'm going to try to convince you because I believe that you should comfortable with how you play. Maybe when you get really good, you can try playing right handed. I can play right and left myself, but I started left handed.

It doesn't matter about what hand the teacher uses to play guitar. Any teacher who plays right or left can easily teach you how to play guitar. It's just that they have to mirror what they do.

Anyway, take my advice about the guitar, you'll thank me later.

Hope this helped.

Cheap Student Acoustic Guitars?




Brooke


I want a student acoustic guitar. I don't want a big one, like the full one, maybe a 1/2 or 3/4. i just want to teach myself, or take lessons. And I want a cheap one. Like about 50 bucks. or less. I'm broke, lol, my parents won't pay I'm sure. So you guys know any places near North Normandie? Email me if you know a place or if you want to give me any other info. Thanks! or just answer the question! THANK YOU!


Answer
You have a couple of options.

Unless you're a small person, you'll probably have issues with a 1/2 sized guitar. Some of these are made for kids, more commonly they're made for travel. You can find very nice small guitars, but the sound is always going to suffer versus the full thing.

With that said, you don't have to buy the full-sized Dreadnought, either. Look for a "parlor" guitar or, as you say, a 3/4 size, which is still going feel like a full sized design, but a bit smaller overall.

As for cheap... I wouldn't recommend going overly cheap. It's not simply that you'll get lower quality sound (though you might), but that you may have technical problems with it, which will keep you from playing the guitar.. and the most important thing you can do to learn is practice, practice, practice. I play at least an hour every day.

There are three things I'd do to find a guitar bargain. One is to look at some of the "beginner" models put out by reputable guitar makers. These will be no-frills guitars, but they're of a decent enough quality to get you into learning, and there's little risk.

A bit more risk is the idea of buying a used guitar. You can look at the local classified, on-line resources like eBay or Craigslist, flea markets, yard sales, etc. There are plenty of people who buy a nice guitar, don't play for some years, and finally decide they just want to be rid of it. The risk is of course that there's something wrong with the guitar that you wouldn't notice, or that you buy an off-brand that's really no bargain.

A big help would be if you have a friend who's an experienced player to drag along if you go shopping locally, or to look over something you find on-line. I'm not saying that all off-brands are bad guitars, just that some are really cheap, and without holding it and playing it, I can't tell the difference. If it says "Martin" or "Taylor" or "Gibson" or "Fender" or something similar on it (and assuming it's not a Chinese knock-off), I'm pretty confident there's at least a base level of quality.

A word about eBay... if you look on eBay, you'll find any number of guitars selling for $20, $30, etc. Most of these are "novelty" guitars... they're very cheaply made, not really something you'd want to play. If you spend this little, you're very likely to buy a guitar that will work against you in the learning process (I'll have to admit here I learned on a Martin D-15... about $1300 MSRP.. and I'm still playing it today). The number 1 warning is that there's no brand-name listed.

In fact, if you can, borrow one for a month, get a beginner's book (assuming you don't play at all right now), and just play as long as you can every day (it may not be a hour... you have to put in some time to develop thick calluses and kill off those pesky nerves on the fingertips of your fretting hand). At that point, you'll at least have some idea of what you like and don't like, which will help you make a better decision about the guitar... and that's particularly important if you can't afford even one bad buy. Another option is to buy from a local store that offers a liberal return policy.

Here are a couple of buying guides, which might also help:
http://guitar.about.com/od/commonbeginnerquestions/a/to_buy_guitar.htm
http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/BuyingGuitars.htm
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/guitar/guitar.html
http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Buy_a_Guitar




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Where to buy a cheap Left-handed acoustic guitar?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment