Friday, February 14, 2014

How to read tabs for acoustic guitar?




CupcakeLov


Describe in depth and please show examples. I have tried looking online and they do not help me at all! I am so used to sheet music that tabs is like a foreign language to me. So please explain.


Answer
The main thing you have to remember is that the bottom on the tab is the top string on the guitar. With that being said, say you have something like this
e-------------------------2-----
B---------------------2-----
G-----------------2-------
D-------------2------------
A---------2---------------
E----2--------------------

that means, starting with the Low E (the string closest to your chin, the thickest string on the guitar) you play all six strings on the second fret.

I you need anymore help, feel free to email me.

why are acoustic and electric guitar tabs upside down?




WTFUNKSTER


I just started learning the acoustic guitar and while I was learning how to read tabs I notice that they look upside down(to me at least) example is twinkle twinkle little star intro

Original Tabs

e|00779975544220---------|
B|------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

Why couldn't it have been

E|------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------|
B|------------------------------|
e|00779975544220---------|

since your looking at the guitar chords from a top down perspective or even when your looking directly at it you know that B is the second from the bottom and not the second at the top or that D is always the third chord. Wouldn't it be easier for beginners or anyone to read tabs like the second example?

This maybe a really dumb question 2 you experts but I have to know!!!



Answer
Hold your guitar like you do when you play. Now look down at the strings.

I was bored so i made an illustration:
http://www.learningtoshred.com/strings.jpg

You'll see the order of the strings in tablature matches the order of the strings when you look at your guitar while playing.

Your proposed way has the strings in the order you'd see them if you look *somebody else* playing. So it's all a matter of perspective. And since you typically look at tab while *you're* playing, I think the standard way makes more sense. ;)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to read tabs for acoustic guitar?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment