Thursday, March 6, 2014

Good acoustic guitar for a beginner?`?




Atoms For


I'm going to be learning guitar over the summer. I have musical aptitude and also play violin so it shouldn't be too bad, but I was wondering what kind of guitar would be best for me to get as a beginner. I don't want to spend too much money on it because it's just going to be a hobby unless I become very good at it. I'm 15, and planning to teach myself and get a few lessons. I'd say my price range is nothing over around $65. You don't have to give me links since I'm most likely going to buy from local music stores, but tell me what brand, type of picks, etc. Thanks so much! :D


Answer
$65 isn't enough. I think the cheapest startup guitar I've seen was a 100$ one.. but seriously you don't want a startup guitar. Save up some more money, ask for cash for your birthday/Christmas/etc., and get one that's at least $200. That way you won't have to deal with cheap parts, low quality wood, etc.

Really, getting a cheap guitar to start is the worst mistake a budding musician can make.

For picks, I like Dunlop picks myself. Get nylon picks because they're essentially plastic but they don't break or wear down at all. And as for the brand of guitar... I personally like Fender and Taylor acoustics but the store will probably let you try out a few.

Seriously though you aren't getting anything for $65 unless you buy some inexpensive wood and make the guitar yourself.

And bring someone who has played guitar for a while(not that kid down the block that smokes weed and plays Nirvanah all day), who is at least semi-serious about it. I'd say 3 years of playing should be enough to know what makes a good or bad guitar.

If you get a bad guitar, it will be frustrating and you won't have any fun. Look at it this way, do you want to spend half your playing time just trying to keep the thing in tune?

Oh and lessons wise, just use Ultimate-Guitar.com and Youtube. UG is great, has thousands of lessons(most of which are high quality) for free, and has a great userbase and forum to ask questions to. Youtube has videos if you're a strictly visual learner, and a lot of the lessons on there are pretty good.

Drop me an email if you need anything else or have any other questions.

Acoustic Guitar?????




Kuntry_Bam


I'm learning to play soon but, i don't want to spend over 200 right now in case i quick. but, i want a hq brand. so, what about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Epiphone-Made-Gibson-DR100-Dreadnought-Acoustic-/350413304185?pt=Guitar&hash=item519642b179
or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Maestro-6-String-Full-Size-Acoustic-Guitar-Black-/120692178052?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c19d07c84



Answer
Of the two, the Epiphone is the better guitar, by far. However the listing is misleading - that guitar is going to be all plywood, including the top (the listing makes it sound like it's a solid spruce top - it won't be) . The "Maestro" was Gibson's attempt at a chain store beginner package (for sale at wal-mart and Target) - and they're pure junk.

Better yet - please DO NOT buy a guitar from eBay. Instead, find a local music store that caters to the guitar players in your area - the pro players. They will have a good assortment of both student instruments, and good used instruments that have come in on trade. Remember that after you purchase the guitar it still has to be properly set up (adjusted) so it's playable. If you buy from eBay there will be nobody to do that for you so you'll have to spend an extra $75-100 for a set-up. If you buy from a legitimate guitar store they will have done a reasonable set-up before it goes out the door - it might cost a little more up-front but it's still the better deal. You'll be able to get something for under $200 - make friends with a guitar store and they'll watch your back and help you out. You will also not have to worry about shipping damage - something that's a real problem with acoustic guitars.

Seriously friend - I don't have a pony in this race but I've taught hundreds of kids and played thousands of gigs. At the end of the day, a good local guitar shop and the crazy guitar players that run it will be the best friend a budding musician has.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good acoustic guitar for a beginner?`?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment