Thursday, June 5, 2014

Whats The Best Acoustic Guitar On A Budget?




STSA


For about five years I've had a crap beginner guitar that I havent been able to shift cause no one would buy it. (I'm 14 btw.)
But, this year I've had a buyer and I'm getting £30 for it (which is OK, its a pretty crap guitar.)
This £30 is going towards the £140 I have saved up for a new acoustic guitar (my mam said she could stretch to £200 if really needed.)

I'm planning on keeping this for at least 5 years so it needs to be durable.
I want a large on, (a good size for a 14 year old that will last me up til college at least.)
The most important thing for me is : THE SOUND.

My current guitar has a horrible sound. A real cheap one that I got 5 or 6 years ago, only intended for about 2 years but somehow its stayed with me so this long >:(
I want one that has a great sound, great strings and sounds warm and nice, not tinny like my one I have now.

I'd also like a guitar strap with it, and a pick holder (you probably get them seperately.)

I have no clue what to get, honestly.
I know I said a set budget of about £180 but please list all guitars that would suit my requirment, whether they are £100 or £600.

Thank you! If you need any more info, just ask!



Answer
For your budget, I would look into the Ibanez brand. Great guitars with nice player friendly necks and good build. Also Yamaha, Cort, Samick, Jasmine (by Takamine) or Jay Turser makes good, solid entry level guitars. Same goes for Epiphone, but I have personally found these to have some rather bulky and unfriendly playing necks.

The main point here is to find a guitar which you personally find you want to pick up and play - not what others recommend!

The most important part is the top of the guitar. A solid top (all wood) will always sound better than a laminate top. AS long as the guitar is well built and has a solid top, you'll be good to go.

Try also to avoid guitars which have plastic nut and/or bridge saddle. There are materials which give you far better sound for not much more money.

The number 1 point is to have the guitar properly adjusted with light strings. A good set-up is the thing that most people forget about their guitars - that and keeping the guitar clean and maintained with good, not old strings...

A proper set-up may put you back a few pounds, but is definitely worth it! Some stores might even do a basic adjustment for you for free.

£200 may be sufficient to get you a good guitar which fits the above criteria. Happy hunting! And yes, you will need to try out the guitars for yourself - never, ever let your eyes alone be the judge. The same goes for other people's recommendations. You will be playing it, so you will need to decide for yourself.

Finally, durability is basically down to maintenance and playing with the same string gauge consistently.

For a step or two above these brands mentioned above, you have Seagull, Takamine, Maton, lower end Taylor and whole heaps of others.

I want to learn guitar on a tight budget. What size/kind of acoustic guitar should I buy?




Mary


I'm a 16 year old girl and I've always loved singing. I know some basic piano but I want to take up the guitar. I'm on a tight budget seeing as I'm also saving up for a car so the cheaper the better.
I have this little guitar my parents bought me when I was 10. I've tried to learn on that but my fingers are too squished on the fretboard.
What size / kind of acoustic guitar should I buy? It doesn't need to sound amazing, but at least decent. (P.S I'm 5'8" and done growing)



Answer
im gonna let you in on a secret not very many people know about me. I have close to $10,000 in musical equipment including software, speakers, guitars, basses, PA equipment, cables etc etc etc.

I drive a 1988 nissan pickup truck with over 400,000 miles on the counter. Did i invest well?

Ya, i could play on some cheap pawn shop trash or buy used on Craig's, but it surely wouldn't get me anywhere in my music career.

I think what you should do is save your pennies til you get about $300 and run out to Guitar Center, or whatever shop of your choosing is. Avoid pawn shops like the plague. Sure, there's some trash can gold in those places every now and again, but for the most part they are guitar morgues.

Ok, now that you have $300, get your pale behind to the Guitar Center. Go when you know its gonna be slow. Like on a Tuesday at like 2pm or something. Do a little research before hand on certain brands, components, reputations, quality of build. Learn as much as you can about a few guitars so you know what to look out for, speaking in generalities.

Then, find someone who looks reputable and ask them questions that you really seem confused on. They should be able to answer them. Try not to talk to the 17 y/o bugnuts with a mohawk that acts like he knows everything about music. But they can play a pretty mean Metallica cover. Trust me, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. DO NOT TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE $300!!! Tell them you are able to spend $250 or so, and you are going to walk out with something that day. Tell him/her your name, use his/her name, and a bit about what you are planning to do with your new guitar. Now you are friends.

You arent looking to compare, you are looking to BUY. This will surely get you the personal help you need if you say that. Spend no less than half an our and feel free to touch everything that has a price tag of $300 or less. You spent several weeks saving for this guitar, the least you can do is give it 30 minutes.

Hold the guitar right up to your face and look at EVERYTHING!! The heal, the pins, the frets, EVERYTHING!!!

Its OK to ask for a little mark down. Say something like "Ya know Jim, I like this Takamine with the ebony finish. But the price is a little high for my budget. Is there anything you can do about this?" or, "Man, Jim, you sell some pretty nice guitars in here. I love this Washburn with the sunburst finish. I'll be glad to take it at this price, but you think it would be too hard to throw in a gig bag and a fresh set of strings?" 9 times outa 10, they'll hook you up. Afterall, they are in buz to make money, you are in the market for a good deal.

Then, if all goes well, you should be ready to purchase new gear at a marked down price. The final kicker is now this. Ask Jim if he will run this out to your car, and when he loads it in, very very quietly hand him a $10 or $20 as a tip. Not a tip for marking the crap down and providing incentive for him to do so, That could get Jim fired. Tip him for helping you to your car.

Then you made a major friend in a very high place and the next time youre in there, Jim will follow you around like a puppy dog.

I know this didnt really answer your Q? but this will help you get a good deal on a good guitar.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Whats The Best Acoustic Guitar On A Budget?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment