Saturday, February 22, 2014

Which guitar sounds best?




Lex


I don't have the ability to go try them out, but there's two (electro-acoustic) guitars I am looking at.

1: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Tanglewood-Discovery-DBTSFCE-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural/ETA
This is a Tanglewood guitar, mahogany neck, back and sides, spruce top. It costs £161.96.

2: http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/hudsonhf1dxsuperfolkelectroacousticguitarnatural-p-1301.html
This is a Hudson guitar, ash back and sides, laminated spruce top. However, this one is a lot cheaper, only £89.95.

Which one would be better to get, based on the fact that it is my birthday present and my dad would pay for it, but I'd have to pay him back some when I get a job? I don't want one that will sound crappy, but at the same time I don't want to spend more than necessary and find that it really isn't that great.

Is ash good?
I know that laminate tops aren't particularly good, is the Tanglewood guitar solid or laminated?

Thanks!



Answer
Both of these instruments would be considered "budget" (really, given that they're electro-acoustics - "cheap") guitars so I'd be VERY reluctant to go for either without being able to try it out - at this price range there tends to be a lot of variation between apparently identical guitars.

I wouldn't expect there to be much difference between their sound in terms of quality (sound is very subjective and hard to describe anyway).

Of the two, I would go for the Tanglewood - I've heard of the brand and it is slightly more expensive. I don't think you'll get a solid top at this price, but why do you think that laminated tops "aren't particularly good" - they're fine. The vast majority of acoustic guitars produced have laminated tops.

Why do some acoustic guitars have a stripe on the back?

Q. I am getting an electro acoustic guitar soon (I already play electric) and noticed on a review for the Washburn wd10sce there was a stripe on the back which made it look cheap and badly made. My sister's acoustic (tanglewood discovery) doesn't have a stripe and I was just wondering if the stripe is good/bad/doesn't make a difference? Also can anyone recommend a good electro acoustic between about £150-£250 please, thanks!


Answer
Guitar backs are traditionally made in two pieces (cut from the same piece of wood and joined so that the grain pattern on one side mirrors that on the other). The join is often covered by an ornamental inlay strip. This is something usually seen on better quality instruments. It makes no difference to the sound in itself, but manufacturers often put better grades of wood into their more expensive and highly ornamented guitars.

On a plywood instrument (your Washburn has plywood back/sides) there is no need for the back to be made in two pieces, but the top veneer layer is generally "bookmatched" to imitate the appearance of a 2-piece solid-wood back, and on more decorated instruments a center strip is sometimes included. It is purely cosmetic.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Which guitar sounds best?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment