Friday, February 21, 2014

Good Acoustic Guitar To Buy?




Riziimoo


I'm looking for a good acoustic guitar, $350 or less, with a cutaway and flat top. I don't really want an electric-acoustic though, so none of those. If it helps, I've been playing guitar for 1 and a half years. And I like smooth necks, although I'm not sure if you can get a really smooth neck on an acoustic. Thanks for everyone's help.


Answer
I would go with these. I think you can find the Dean Cheaper than that. I really like Takamine, you'll get a lot for your money. Consider buyin a used Martin.


http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G440C-Acoustic-Guitar-516422-i1148979.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G340SC-Solid-Top-Cutaway-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-516423-i1148980.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Performer-Series-PE-FSM-Mini-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104820444-i1435481.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cordoba-Gitano-O-5-Acoustic-Gypsy-Jazz-Guitar-512785-i1167438.gc

What's a good guitar for a female beginner?




Alex


I've been playing on my Dad's cheap jumbo acoustic guitar and it's really hard. I know basic chords and a couple songs, but now I'm trying to learn from Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar and I just cannot do bar chords at all. I have callouses and everything but it tears my fingers to shreds and I end up with hand cramps. Also the body is quite big and uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend a good not-too-expensive acoustic guitar for a a woman?

At the moment I'm interested in playing delta blues like Son House and Bukka White, although I'm not ready to learn slide guitar yet. But I also want to learn general chords and music-reading (hence the Leavitt book), and will probably branch out eventually. So I don't think I want a special guitar like a resonator? What do you think?

Thanks!



Answer
There are no special guitars for women (well, maybe Luna. And Daisy Rock. But presumably you want a guitar, not an ornament). However, smaller people often prefer a smaller-bodied instrument to a jumbo or dreadnought shape (dreadnoughts are the commonest design, jumbo is the name of a specific shape but I don't know if you're using it in that sense). I'm a 5'5" female and find the Martin OOO design just about ideal. It has been copied by many manufacturers. Avoid 3/4 size instruments though; those are intended for kids of about 9. What you want is a full size (24.5-25.5" scale length) guitar with a smaller body. Something like a Yamaha FS-700S or 720S would be nice.

As for the playing difficulties, most likely the action is too high on your dad's guitar. That's a matter of adjustment, and very cheap instruments are often not properly set up. It can generally be corrected by a guitar tech for $35 or so, but it sounds like you might be happier with your own guitar. Just go to a well-stocked guitar store and try some out.

Slide playing is usually done with high action and most resonator guitars are set up that way from the factory. I would avoid the very cheap ones, too - resophonics can be cranky beasts and you would probably be looking at at least a few hundred for something reliable. Even then, you may find that they are not as enjoyable to play as when you listen to someone else playing one. There's an odd mechanical quality to the sound, not the responsiveness you get from wood or even plywood. You will also find it less versatile than a regular guitar - you can always play slide on a normal guitar as long as the action isn't extremely low, but a resonator guitar doesn't sound good for all kinds of music. Anyway, I would leave the resonator guitar until later - get yourself something comfortable to play for now.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good Acoustic Guitar To Buy?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment