Saturday, May 31, 2014

Beginner acoustic guitar?




Luke


I'm really wanting to learn guitar. I don't want to spend that much money, but I want a decent guitar. Any ideas on good but cheap guitars? Keep in mind I'm a beginner! Thanks!!


Answer
A decent entry level guitar (avoid things advertised as "beginner guitars"; they're usually junk) will run you about $150-300. You should only buy it from a music store or guitar store after trying it out personally. Take along someone who already plays guitar if you can.

Avoid buying online, especially Ebay. Also avoid discount stores and big box stores. Most guitars under $100 are also to be avoided, although Epiphone and Jasmine have adequate models at $100. I don't recommend buying your first guitar used - used guitars can have issues that are not obvious to the nonplayer and which may be expensive to fix. Pawnshop guitars are notorious for being overpriced and in poor repair.

Yamaha, Jasmine, and Epiphone are some entry level makes that offer good value. In this price range nearly all the guitars you encounter will be all plywood construction. There is nothing wrong with this when you're starting out - at this point you are looking for a guitar that is durable and easy to play, not for wonderful tone, and anyway, some plywood guitars can sound surprisingly decent. Yamaha does offer a few models with solid spruce tops in this price range and they are highly recommended - check out the FG-700S. Note that if the ad doesn't say SOLID spruce, it's plywood.

Hope this helps.

What is a good beginner acoustic guitar?




Shiloh


I want to start learning how to play the guitar. I don't have much money to spend on an expensive one, but I don't want a guitar that's going to fall apart on me easily or sound crappy either. Any suggestions with online links would be greatly appreciated.


Answer
When I started playing guitar, I was self taught. I bought myself a cheap, $74 First Act Guitar from Walmart. The thing was a guitar-shaped piece of crap. Whatever you do, do not buy a guitar that doesn't come from a reputable GUITAR STORE. I suggest Guitar Center. When I started taking lessons, I went to a studio where I was good friends with the owner, Mario Otero, who was a Grammy Nominee. He and all the instructors recommended a Yamaha Gigmaker. When I bought mine it was around $300. They are very reliable. They are also GREAT for beginners. However, I would recommend them only for beginners. If you are going to take lessons, then ask your teacher or the store owners what guitar would be good for you. If you have any self-taught experience, you may not be a beginner and you can get yourself an electric guitar. Guitar center has great guitars, used and very inexpensive. Ask the store clerks for help. When you buy the guitar, ask the clerk to check the guitar to make sure the neck isn't warped, is straight, and everything is working fine. The most important thing to remember is that the quality of your guitar depends on you. Take care of it. If you live in a dry place (For example, I live in a desert) then you will need a sturdy case and a humidifier. This keeps your guitar from drying out. If your guitar dries out, the neck warps. This is the same with a guitar kept in a very damp place. You will need something to keep it dry enough, or the wood will soak up too much moisture. Ask the clerks at your store for help with this, as well. I hope this answer helped, and you find a great guitar that will last for years to come.
Also, Whatever you do DO NOT BUY YOUR GUITAR ONLINE. Go into a store and TRY IT OUT. You will be glad you did. :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Beginner acoustic guitar?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment