Thursday, August 22, 2013

What should I do with my acoustic guitars while I'm away?

best humidity for acoustic guitars
 on Pdp Platinum
best humidity for acoustic guitars image



Rebecca


I'm leaving for the Air Force for 4 months and I'm not exactly sure what to do with my 2 acoustic guitars. Usually I play them every day so I don't have to worry about storing them or anything. But the problem is that I don't have any hard cover cases, just gig bags. What should I do with them while I'm away? I don't think leaving them out in the open is a good idea.


Answer
Loosen the strings and store them in a place that will remain at 40-50% relative humidity, if possible, and where the temperature will remain within the range a person would find comfortable. Case or soundhole humidifiers will help to maintain humidity if there is someone you can rely on to put water in them before they go dry. They will need frequent refilling (every few days, most likely) if all you have is gig bags.

How to store your acoustic guitar?




Steven Ngu


I just bought a expensive acoustic guitar and it came in a hard case the guitar is a yamaha ac1m closest thing to a taylor 114ce that's why I bought it. Idk how to store the guitar. It's currently in its case standing up in a closet.


Answer
Well it depends on how long you plan to store it and where you live. The case is the best place for it regardless but if you just put it in the case for a day or two you shouldn't need to do anything special. Now if you live in an area of extreme weather like high humidity you should probably put a desiccant (you know those little white packets of silica gel that you get in shipped stuff) in the case to absorb moisture. The make dehumidifiers for guitar cases and are available at most on line and retail music shops. If you plan on storing it for a long time then you need to loosen the strings so that the neck doesn't have any undue stress between playings.Some players will also lossen the truss rod but thats only if you plan to store it for a really long time or ship it somewhere. Additionally if you plan on storing it for a long time then a good grade of guitar polish and fret board polish /wax will help from getting finish cracks because of the wood drying out. This is importatnt for the fretboard as well as the body of the guitar.

Addl: Say there Tony B, just because you are a top contributor doesn't mean you have any idea what you are talking about. Guitars are shipped with their truss rods either completely loose are not very tight at all so they necks don't get warped in transit due to changing weather conditions. That is why guitars have to be "set up" to make them playable once they reach the music retailer. Secondly they make fretboard waxes, polishes and oils to keep the mostly rosewood necks on acoustic guitars from drying out and cracking. Since the asker didn't say how long he would be storing the guitar I gave him all the options for a myriad of time intervals. You probably want to stick to commenting on something you might have some idea about, which obviously you don't.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What should I do with my acoustic guitars while I'm away?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment