Monday, November 25, 2013

What is a good beginner acoustic guitar to buy?

acoustic guitar lessons for beginners dvd
 on Parts of the Guitar - Acoustic Guitar Parts - Electric Guitar Parts ...
acoustic guitar lessons for beginners dvd image



snicks


Should I buy the guitar kit with DvD's included and strap and such. oR BUY A BETTER GUITAR AND ALL THE OTHER items seperately? This will be a birthday present for my 14 yr old son who has started last year on an electric but lost interest, says he would rather try an acoustic. I would say 500. would be the higher end of what I would spend. Your experienced input much appreciated.


Answer
When buying a guitar, like anything else, you get what you pay for. But lets be honest, most people who start off playing guitar give up within a few months, and the guitar player just ends up a few hundred dollars poorer. When buying a guitar, buy something cheap, but easy to play.

The best acoustic guitar for a beginner is an inexpensive Yamaha FG700s. This is a cheap guitar that is very easy to play, and it looks and sounds great. This is hands down the best choice for a newbie guitarist. Another option would be an Takamine G-340 guitar. You can find both for around $200. But do not buy that Esteban guitar it is very badly made even by cheap guitar standards.

So hold off on buying a $500 guitar until you are sure that playing the guitar is something he is going to stick with. You already lost money on the electric guitar don't make the same mistake twice.

With regards to buying a kit or the accessories individually. I wouldn't buy the kit the accessories included are throw aways and you are better off buy a little better guitar for almost the same price. You can buy the accessories later when needed, which you will end up doing later anyway becuase the ones that come in the kit are garbage. And then have your son use You Tube and Google to search for free lessons before spending money on DVD lessons. There are a ton of free lesson out there. That is what I did when I first started learning and then when I needed more instruction and wanted to move ahead in my playing did I start buying DVD's and paying for Online Lessons.

Just my 2 cents.....

Where should I start learning guitar?




kaisaki134


I am going to buy an acoustic guitar (a starter package with a training dvd). I'm a complete beginner so I don't know where to start learning. I want to build the basics. Maybe some chords.

I am more comfortable following instructions in written materials.



Answer
I would suggest learning how to read tablature (tabs) http://guitar.about.com/od/tabchordslyrics/ss/read_guitar_tab.htm and the finger shapes of the more common major/minor chords like C, D, A, E, G and Em. There are a number of online guitar courses available that cost money but only what you would pay to get 2 or 3 lessons from a real teacher. I own Jamorama (about $40) and Learn and Master Guitar (about $150 I think). L&M guitar is a DVD based course with a booklet. Jamorama is a downloadable course with text lessons and videos/jam tracks included. They are both excellent courses and use videos to teach. They also have money back guarantees if you dislike their teaching style.
If you can't afford Jamorama, then I suggest checking on Youtube for Justin Sandercoe. He provides some great lessons for free and is a pretty good teacher. http://www.youtube.com/user/justinsandercoe?blend=2&ob=4

For your first song with strumming and chords, I suggest learning Pearl Jam - Last Kiss. The chord progression follows G - Em - C - D with simple down down up up down strumming. And for songs where you are picking (plucking strings individually), I would suggest simple songs like Old McDonald, Twinkle Twinkle and Happy Birthday. Ok... so that is a bit lame, but it will help you learn some of the basics.

As for buying a guitar, I would suggest something around $140-180 that is already on sale as a beginner instrument. Check at local music shops for any deals they might have and ask them to make some recommendations. Decide on what you can afford before you go the store so you don't end up buying that awesome guitar that is 3 times what you wanted to pay. You can pick up an electronic tuner or use an online one (I believe Jamorama comes with a version, however I like using an electronic one) Here is a resource about guitar buying http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=99529 Be sure that the guitar fits you well.

Good luck with learning to play. And remember, it is starting that is the hardest. Your fingers will get sore until you develop some tougher skin on the fingers, but hang in there and keep practicing.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a good beginner acoustic guitar to buy?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment