Thursday, January 16, 2014

How long does it take for an acoustic guitar to dry out?

best acoustic guitar humidifier
 on PLANET WAVES ACOUSTIC GUITAR HUMIDIFIER
best acoustic guitar humidifier image



B.J.


I'm getting a new acoustic guitar soon. I never liked it (always prefered electric), but now it's starting to grow on me. So, let's say I get a $500 Taylor acoustic guitar and get a humidifier with it and keep it in good condition. How many years will it last? Five, ten, fifteen, twenty? If I don't use a humidifier, how long will it last me then?


Answer
If you take reasonably good care of your guitar, even a low-priced Taylor like you're looking at will last a lifetime. Just like any other fretted instrument, there is regular wear and tear. At some point, you'll need to dress or replace worn frets, but that's way down the road. Same thing with a neck reset, which is easy on a Taylor because the necks are bolt-on.

Here's the thing about humidifiers: Acoustic guitars which have solid wood tops (like Taylors) like to stay at a fairly constant (40-50%) humidity. In the winter months, the air is dryer so you should use a humidifier. Why are you even considering not using one? Even a moist sponge in a plastic bag will work. Just put in the case with your guitar. And yes, the guitar should be stored in the case...not on a wall or stand. If the wood dries out, it shrinks and this can cause cracks....most commonly in the top. The guitar will still be playable and can be repaired, although the repaired crack will be visible. Hoe long does it take to dry out? That depends on the environment it's in.....as little as a few days to a week of really dry air could cause a problem. On that topic, quick changes in temp are a good way to crack the finish......although it won't hurt the guitar.

So rest assured that if you buy a decent acoustic and treat it well, you'll be enjoying it when you're old and gray.

How often should I use my acoustic guitar humidifier?




Alan


I just got an acoustic guitar, it is really nice so I want to take care of it. I got a humidifier for it but I don't know if I should put the humidifier in whenever I am not playing it or if I just put it in once a week or something like that. I also have a fairly old guitar, should I use my humidifier for that one too?
Thanks a lot for all your help.



Answer
Keep it in anytime you are not playing it. Just make sure to keep checking the temp. in the case so its not too humid or too dry. As for the older acoustic, do the same thing. A humidifier can keep the wood pure, from warping and sounding bright and new.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How long does it take for an acoustic guitar to dry out?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment