Saturday, January 18, 2014

What is a good beginner acoustic guitar to buy?

acoustic guitar beginner kit
 on Yamaha Acoustic Guitar Kit - Costco - Ottawa
acoustic guitar beginner kit image



snicks


Should I buy the guitar kit with DvD's included and strap and such. oR BUY A BETTER GUITAR AND ALL THE OTHER items seperately? This will be a birthday present for my 14 yr old son who has started last year on an electric but lost interest, says he would rather try an acoustic. I would say 500. would be the higher end of what I would spend. Your experienced input much appreciated.


Answer
I brought an Ashton with spare strings, case and instructional DVD.

The tone is beautiful and on special the whole lot cost $200.00

Look for deals get someone to play the guitar for you, if you like the sound of it buy it.

What's the best kinda of acoustic guitar for beginners?




Jessa Lee


For my 16th birthday I'm going to get an acoustic guitar and I was wondering which is the best kind for beginners and how much would lessons be?

Thank you :)



Answer
I hate to do this to people, but I just answered this exact question for someone else, so I'm just gonna copy-paste my answer to here and make a few additions for your case.

***

If you want to start with a guitar, you'll want one that is not just a crappy beginners model. You want one that will last. So I advise that you get a mid-range starter kit, which will give you all you need to get started and learn.

Buying a guitar isn't like buying clothes; you want a name brand. It may sound snobbish, but from my experience, low end guitars from tiny companies no-one has heard of, in general, suck, and will probably break. Look for names like Ibanez, Fender, Yamaha, Ovation, or Dean, just to name a few. Most companies will provide a cheap starter kit for beginners, but on average these will still be a solid, quality instrument. (I am slightly biased towards Ibanez guitars, I've only had good experiences in my purchases form them.)

However, I retract everything I've said if you only intend to try a basic guitar to see if you like the instrument. But if you have serious intentions about learning guitar, start with one step up from that. It will help you get a better feel, won't break, and will last you well into the moderate skill level.

I would suggest you look at packs like the ones below. They're not amazing guitars mind you; these are certainly not pro-level instruments or something. But they're probably good enough to get you right on your way. They also come with some great accessories to get you started.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-GigMaker-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack-102920113-i1150348.gc

That's a Yamaha, who are good for mid-range guitars. Its only about $175, and will keep you going well into intermediate skill level guitar playing. It also comes with a tuner, which is invaluable to someone who can't tune by ear (many people can't). It even comes with some picks, a strap, and a lesson disc. Its a bit pricey for a beginner, but this will save you a lot of money on purchases like tuners, straps, lesson CDs, and picks, which you will inevitably end up making.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-SA-100-Upgrade-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack-105788012-i1511647.gc

That's a Fender, a legend in electric guitars and very well known for their work in acoustic instruments, especially for beginners. It comes with a tuner, which as I mentioned is great to have. The benefit to this one is that its only about $100 dollars. I was actually looking at picking one of these up myself as a road guitar. From everything I know about Fender, this should be solid, tough, and able to handle most of what you throw at it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-JamPack-IJV50-Quickstart-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack-103563631-i1150606.gc

Also making an appearance is the Ibanez model. I had to throw this in, I love Ibanez guitars. Its not a high end guitar by any means, but will give you good tone for a beginner guitar. It also includes a tuner and strap, as well as a gig bag. Its only about $100.
---
Those should be great for beginners. As for lessons, the cost really depends. I used to teach lessons to beginners for low rates, as low as $8 and hour for beginner lessons, when I started teaching. You can also get high grade professional courses which will take you through a set course material and have you playing pro slightly faster than you might through a private tutor. These are expensive (Up to $75 dollars per lesson in some instances!) but will ensure you get a quality education.

My advice to you is that you're better off to find a private teacher working out of their home teaching music lessons. This is not because I am biased because its my former job... I truly believe you will be receiving a comparable musical education for a fraction of the price. And if you are dissatisfied, there will always be another teacher. So just look on Google or on classified ads in the newspaper or your local music store for lessons ads, and you'll be able to find someone to teach you for a reasonable price.

You could always buy lesson packages like CD kits or books and try to teach yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it. This is how I learned guitar, and I regret it. It took me forever to un-learn the bad habits I had taught myself, and if I had taken lessons I never would have developed those habits.

Hopefully this helps you in your choice in guitars and lesson issues. If you have any more questions, post a comment and I'd be happy to help you further. Its great to see new interest in the world of guitar, and I hope it is as fulfilling for you as you expect it to be.

Happy Music-Making,
Feepfeep




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a good beginner acoustic guitar to buy?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

1 comment:

  1. This blog provide valuable information on best acoustic guitar. You can find some more best acoustic guitars information here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete