Thursday, February 6, 2014

What acoustic guitar should I buy for under $500 - $1000 US?




MikeTechni


Here are my top 3 right options (in order) right now:

1. Takamine EG523SC
2. Wechter Dreadnought Elite Cutaway
3. Taylor 110e

HELP!! They all seem like good choices, but I want the BEST for my money.. I want something that's easy to play (I'm an intermediate player), sounds great, and is built to last.

One more thing, can I get the best VALUE at this price level ($750)?? In other words, would it be better to drop down to a $500 guitar, or step up to $1000 and go all out???

Thanks for any help!!!



Answer
the big ones are martin, taylor, takamine, breedlove, and gibson. martin d-1 and d-15's are nice, very good all around. Breedlove atlas series dreadnoughts are all really sweet sounding, with a very cutting treble. I'm not a huge taylor fan, and have never owned a takamine, but i know that they sound good, and gibsons are probably out of your range.

try fenders perhaps though. I have a few martins, gibsons, and fenders, and though the gibson is my favorite (an old Gibson Dove from a friend), the fenders have a very distinctive sound and i like them almost as much. I don't know if youre willing to buy used, but you could probably get an ls-20 for about in your price range, which just sound amazing. Another guitar i got after i played a freinds and just fell in love, its the Fender J5 signature, of John5 who's an amazing player of all genres.

in short, look at:
Martin D-1 and D-15
Breedlove Atlas series Dreadnoughts
Fender used LS-20
Fender J5 acoustic

Also, I'm sorry, but the person above me is incorrect. Ask any luthier or player, but the major difference in guitars lies not in the metal or the electronics (when speaking of electrics) but in the wood. The reason that squier guitars sound somewhat...bad...and upper end fenders sound amazing is the difference in the quality of the wood. It would cost perhaps 300 dollars max to give a squier all the electronics of a 2000 dollar guitar, and it would still sound terrible, because it has terrible wood. Sorry, I just hate it when people think that wood doesn't matter.

Looking for a good acoustic guitar?




flipper123


for intermediate player please... an affordable one too and give ratings for them thanks


Answer
A good intermediate acoustic guitar would probably be in the $500 - $1000 range. You should definitely be looking for one with a solid top (not laminate), and preferably a solid back and sides as well, although some of the Martins are using HPL (high pressure laminate) and sound pretty nice.

Any Martin or Taylor that falls in your price range would probably be a very safe bet. I also played a Cole Clark guitar that was very nice and cost right around $1000. You'd still want to play them first to be sure it's what you want personally though. Breedlove and Takamine guitars are also very nice intermediate guitars. Seagull makes fine guitars too and you can get a pretty nice one for around $500, just be careful to play it first because they use a lot of cedar tops and they have a different tone than spruce. Again, you really have to play any acoustic before you buy it to be sure the tone and feel are good for you. I have a great old Guild acoustic that I love playing, but it's a pre-Fender one and I haven't played any of their newer ones to know if they're still any good. I think they're still a good option though.

If you want something under $500 that's still a good instrument you'd probably be looking at something like a Yamaha or one of the lower cost Takamines, or possibly an Epiphone if you like them. They're all good brands and I've played some in the $400 - $500 range that sounded very nice. I've heard good things about Walden guitars and have played a few and liked them, but they're not easy to find in music stores.

Those would be the ones I would mainly focus on. Again, it depends on what you consider affordable and intermediate, and what you're playing now. If you're playing a $50 First Act or Gibson Maestro as your "beginner" guitar, then a $200 Ibanez or Dean might seem like a good intermediate guitar for you.

EDIT: See, I'd consider all of the ones Mikey listed as pretty high end hand made guitars costing several thousand dollars. If that's your definition of "intermediate" and affordable, then by all means get one of those, it's a great list of guitars. I wouldn't mind having a $7,000 McPherson myself! I'm not the one giving you thumbs down though Mikey, so don't take it out on me. Some people looking to learn guitar just don't have thousands of dollars to spend I guess.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What acoustic guitar should I buy for under $500 - $1000 US?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment