Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Good Acoustic-Electric Guitar for 200-300 price range?




kwong_chan


Is this a reasonable price range?


Answer
Acoustic-electric in the 200-300 range?

I'm going to show you 3 different guitars, you sit and play them all. You tell me what you think.

Well, that's what I would do if I was still working in the guitar shop and you walked in with that question. I suggest going to a store to do just that. Different stores will carry different brands. Shop around. Maybe do it 3 or 4 times at 3 or 4 different stores.

My suggestions to look for might include...

Samick manufacturer - priced relatively lower, materials rated high, craftsmanship okay (check that guitar out).

Ibanez - now making an excellent line of acoustic/electrics with fancy looking stain jobs and special woods. You can find at least one of their guitars in your range, if not 5.

Fender - starting recently with a good line of acoustic guitars, acoustic/electrics are of course available. It's a similar comparison to Ibanez, however, Ibanez gives you more appearance flash for your buck; and the guitars sound different. A Fender tends to be deep like a Martin, and an Ibanez is mid-range to bright, like a Taylor.

Martin & Taylor are 2 high priced end guitar brands that I still suggest. My preference, for sound, construction, playability, and durability is Taylor. I always used to compare Ibanez acoustics of good quality to a cheap priced Taylor guitar. There are major differences, but I guess that means that after all I've given you so far, I would lean you towards Ibanez.

What's the best acoustic/electric guitar for under $200?




Jane-Marie


I want to get something that I could play at home and on a sound system. I'm a church worship leader, new to the guitar. My budget is small. If there's anything of decent quality that is under or around $200, what is it?


Answer
Hi, I'm a worship leader at my church too and have been playing guitar for over 35 years.

On an acoustic guitar, you really want to look for a solid spruce or cedar top. That's hard enough to find under $200. Adding good quality electronics on top of that and keeping the price under $200 is pretty tough, but there are a few guitars that might fit the bill and be reasonably good sounding:

My first choice (slightly over your $200 limit) would be to go on Ebay and search for Walden D550CE. There's seller selling a bunch of those. He's asking $299 for Buy It Now but also has a Best Offer open. Try offering $200 and maybe go as high as $250. Never hurts to try! Those are very good beginner guitars with a solid spruce top and the Fishman Classic 4 electronics.

This Washburn WD7SCEA would probably be my next choice under $200. It has a solid spruce top and decent electronics with a 4 band EQ.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-WD7SCEA-Solid-Sitka-Spruce-Top-Acoustic-Cutaway-Electric-Dreadnought-Guitar-In-Tobacco-Sunburst-With-4-Band-EQ-Preamp-And-Tuner?sku=430366

Hohner HW300CE - I know Hohner's are pretty decent quality and the Fishman electronics are great for this price range. This one does not have a solid top, but it might sound good plugged in:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-HW300CE-Cutaway-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=581662

Mitchell MD100SCE - has a solid spruce top but cheap electronics. I've never played one though.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mitchell-MD100SCE-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=518043

You might find an Ibanez or Fender under $200. Those are decent (not great) acoustic guitars.

Other than the Walden and possibly the Washburn though, those are not guitar brands I would typically recommend or even play myself. My personal favorites guitars under $500 are Seagull, Takamine, and Yamaha. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get one of these brands new under $200 with a solid top and good electronics. If you can find one used though, that would be a better buy than spending money on a lower quality new guitar. Check out Craigslist and see what's available in your area. If you know and have a specific model you like, Ebay is a good option, but again, only if you already know what you're looking for (don't just buy a cheap guitar on Ebay).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good Acoustic-Electric Guitar for 200-300 price range?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment