Thursday, December 5, 2013

What is a good first guitar that won't cost a fortune, but will last a while without having to get a new one?

top 5 cheap acoustic guitars
 on ... -Electric-Acoustic-Guitar-Flame-Maple-Top-Robin-Zander-Cheap-Trick
top 5 cheap acoustic guitars image



Hailey M


I am planning to learn guitar and need my own acoustic guitar - I don't want to pay a fortune, but i also have no idea what is a fortune is when talking about guitars. I would like any info you have on brands, price ranges vs quality, etc. Thanks!


Answer
I've been a subscriber to Guitar Player magazine since the mid 70's, and they always have hard hitting reviews of musical equipment.

In short, the Fender acoustics have always gotten good reviews.

Here's the thing, if you truely want a guitar to "last," you have to get one with a "solid top." Most low end cheaper acoustics will simply say something like.."spruce top." this is NOT a solid top. If the guitar has a solid top, believe me, they will emphasize this point.

Solid tops are preferable because they age better...improve in tone, and can literally be handed down for generations.

Of course, solid tops are more expensive, but not out of reach.

Here's a nice Fender acoustic with a solid top with the bonus of having a built in pickup, which you might consider...especially if you plan on doing some open mikes one day or performning in a band?

Explore the web site...there are many very nice guitars well under the 5 bill mark. Also, Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, so they are basically the same store.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-CD140SCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=517574

Is the Yamaha NTX900 Guitar suitable for playing flamenco?




Terri


I'm a tween-sized adult woman, and I'm finding it difficult to find a flamenco guitar with a small enough neck. My left hand is smaller than 7.5 inches and reach and speed is a question for me. I considered small-scale classical guitars from 580mm to 615 mm but they are more expensive than I can afford, and I really don't want to take a chance on lowering the action on one and then not like it and not be able to return it.

So I found a Yamaha nylon guitar line Rodrigo y Gabriela helped design and now play. Gab's guitar is the NCX model which is a classical and is marketed as good for flamenco. The neck is the same as other guitars so it's too big for me.

The NTX900 model is NOT market as good for flamenco but is for Latin music and pop. The guitar is a hybrid between electric and acoustic guitars. The body is like a thin classical but it has a neck which is thin, narrow and radiused, much like an electric guitar. The neck is wider than an electric but narrower than a classical acoustic. The action is marketed as being low. Rod shreds on this model so I'm thinking the action is plenty fast for flamenco.

The other model that is marketed for flamenco is thicker and sturdier than the NTX model. So I wonder if the NTX is okay for flamenco and it's techniques.

Can anyone help. I'm going to try to post the links so you can see the guitar I'm asking about.

Thanks.
NTX900 Guitar http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el_nylon_guitars/ntx/ntx900fm/?mode=model
Here's the other model, the NXC: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el_nylon_guitars/ncx/?mode=series#tab=feature



Answer
By tween sized I assume you mean petite? In any case a Classical, Flamenco or even there smaller brother Requinto will have around a 53mm nut width or a little over 2 inch, its just the way they are, as it lends to more string spacing for easier finger style playing, unfortunately tween sized women were not part of the design process, But not to worry, your technique matters very little to a guitar, I actually use a Flamenco picking style, as in all 5 digits, but I don't really play Flamenco style music, I suppose I could, its just not my cup of tea, my acoustic of choice is a plain old Flat top Dread, the one I play the most is 1" 7/8 at the nut, although my next favorite is 1" 11/16 at the nut, and to be honest I don't notice the difference, But in the end you'll need to make the trade off, do you want the smaller neck or the wider string spacing? although there are hybrids out there, one that comes to mind is the Godin Multiac, Thing doesn't know if its a Classical or an Electric, and if you were to cough up the dough for a 13 pin synth which its equipped for it could be any instrument you wanted it to be. not cheap but seriously cool, So it just kinda goes to show the guitar is just a guitar, you can play any style you wish with it, provided you learn it, in which case, Eh I suppose you could learn over the internet and from books, its not like it hasn't been done before, Flamenco may a bit harder but I'm sure with practice it could be done, Did you check your community collage, sometimes they have classes, I have a cousin that teaches Classical and Flamenco at one, he actually builds these types of guitars, but at a $6000 dollar starting price and 5 month waiting period they make that Multiac look like a bargain.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a good first guitar that won't cost a fortune, but will last a while without having to get a new one?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment