Friday, November 15, 2013

Are the Mel Bay books for learning the guitar any good?

acoustic guitar beginner exercises
 on When learning how to read guitar music notes think about the musical ...
acoustic guitar beginner exercises image



elena


I'm planning on teaching myself the acoustic guitar (due to lessons being unavailable a reasonable distance from where I live), and I've had a few people recommend me starting with the Mel Bay books. If any of you have used them, what's your opinion, and are they good & relatively easy to understand for beginners?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!



Answer
I still have a tattered copy of one of these from the 70's. Follow it cover to cover, and do the exercises regularly and in 6 months you will be better than you thought possible.

How can I help my daughter learn to play the guitar?




Just The W


My 9 y/o daughter got an acoustic guitar for Christmas and she really wants to learn how to play it. Times are tough right now and I can't afford lessons. Is there anything I can do to help her learn and keep her motivated?


PS - I know this isn't really a home-schooling related question, but I thought I would get some good answers here. Thanks.



Answer
The first thing to do is to get her a good book of guitar chords.

By learning chords, she'll open up a world of songs from which to learn. What's important, at the early stages, is that you find out what music she likes.

Since she's nine, you'll probably be looking for the chords to the latest Jonas Bros., or Hannah Montana songs...even SpongeBob has some easy songs that might motivate her to learn.

Do not throw a bunch of stupid exercises and scales at her right now. she has to have fun, and the only way to do that is to have her learn songs she loves.

Today, you can probably find the chords to pretty much any song on the internet...just do some searches.

Besides learning songs...it's important your daughter understands how to tune a guitar. Guitar tuners can be had for as little as $10. If she's not in tune, and she tries to play along with a Miley Cyrus song...she may get frustrated?

Also...if she has a friend near her age who also plays...this will improve her playing ability 10 times as fast as it will sitting alone in her room.

You sound like a great mom. ( I'm just being nice so you don't whip out the 'ol samurai sword and track me down, Kiddo. LOL)

Have a Merry Christmas!

When she's ready....here's a great web site...free lessons from beginner to pro...http://www.guitarplayertv.com/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Are the Mel Bay books for learning the guitar any good?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment