Friday, January 31, 2014

Does this guitar have the sticky laminated crap on the neck that makes it feel unnatural?

Q. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GAD25/

I want to buy a nice guitar within 500- 750 that has a smooth wooden neck that feels real and natural, I hate it when they laminate it, does THAT guitar have it, if yes, then could you tell me where I COULD find wooden/smooth necked guitars...martins maybe?


Answer
Sweetwater does sell an 'unfinished neck' acoustic guitar in that price range. It's the (new for 2011) Martin DRS-1, for $699. -Similar is the D-1GT, but is $899.- These have a gloss finish top, satin finish back and sides, and an unfinished neck. This seems to be done as a cost-cutting measure for Martin guitars under $1000. The neck coatings aren't laminated. They're sprayed with thin coats of clear or tinted polyester, or polyurethane enamal in 'high-gloss' or 'satin'. This coating generally prevents 'stickiness' exept with extreme wear or humidity. I know guitarists who remove the neck finish. I've found this gives an uneven playing feel, detracts from the original tone, and the neck gets dirty./ I'd agree that it's better to compare many guitars for yourself, and consider buying a high-end or hand-made (lightly) used acoustic. The Guild GAD 25 -all mahogany body- ($600) that you noted has a 'high-gloss polyester neck finish'. It also has the other Guild goodies like Grover tuning machines, and a bone nut and saddle. I'm not a fan of the mahogany top though. They give sort of a wooly, almost too dark of a tone. (The cheapest mahogany top Martin OOO-15M is $1150). Optionally is the Guild GAD-50 with a solid Sitka spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides for $650; similarly is the GAD 30R -with ebony fretboard- $760 ($730 from MusiciansFriend dotcom). These guitars all have about a 25 1/2" scale length. I found that the Guild M20 ($600) with a 24 3/4" 'Gibson scale' played much better. Other Martins to check are the DX1E ($600), or the DCX1KE Cutaway with Koa back and sides, and Fishman pick-up system ($700)./ Other Sweetwater dreadnaught guitars I like are: Takamine EG450DLK ($600), Wechter Pathmaker double-cutaway ($580), Ovation Koa top cutaway with multi-wood epilets ($530), Epiphone EF-500M 'Masterbuilt' ($550), and Alvarez AD 511SB Artist ($560). Alvarez often gets voted 'best sounding for price' in guitar magazine comparisons./ Personally, I've always wanted a decent acoustic guitar. If I had that much money, I'd choose a Washburn R319SWKK Parlor ($550), R314 KK ($400), or a Loar LH-200 ($330 MusiciansFriend). Add a hard-case and sound-hole pick-up, and you're right on budget! Best wishes to you.

Tips of buying a drum kit? for a metal band?




Bob S


well i want to buy a drum kit, i have been using the schools drum kit and playing for a metal band. i need tips though on buying my own one. where can i buy a standard acoustic kit where my budget is under $1000. are there any specific websites i can have a look at? i also want to buy some cymbals for the kit, such as a china. i want to kow like what type of china to get and where is a good site to purchase them, etc.


Answer
One good website I'd look into would be Musician's Friend or Guitar Center. I'd recommend the Tama Imperialstar for a starter drum kit. It's a five piece Tama drum set with a snare, two toms, a floor tom, and a kick drum. Not only is it a good quality beginner kit, but it comes with name brand cymbals. They come with Meinl cymbals and I believe stands as well. I think it comes with a pair of hi-hats, a ride, a crash, and a free china. Definitely one of the better starter kits around. Most drum kits that come with cymbals are usually crappy with horrible generic cymbals. Check this kit out and good luck! I believe it's around $500-600. It's a fairly good deal.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/u_drum_data.php?year=2011&id=124




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Does this guitar have the sticky laminated crap on the neck that makes it feel unnatural?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment