Thursday, January 9, 2014

Want to begin sampling...But where to start?

best acoustic guitar kontakt
 on Guitar24 Alhambra Steel-String Guitars Alhambra W1
best acoustic guitar kontakt image






I play guitar, and for the past few months i have been becoming interested in electronic music. Mostly Radiohead's stuff from Kid A and Amnesiac and such. Also some Atlas Sound and ofcourse Animal Collective (They are HUGE in our town, MaryWeather Post Pavillion is huge, i prefer older stuff...) ANYWAYS... I am really interested in making my own. In Media class, i grab a Mac and record stuff on Garageband with my ipod touch apps and put those together (I dont use the loops as much, I really want to make my own) but i am wondering where to start. Garage Band doesn't really cut it for me. Fun but i want something more. I have a Synthesizer, Synth Amp, Guitars (Electric and acoustic) and Amp. But i more want to try and work with the Synth in making something. Sorry if this question is Vague, But any help on where to begin would be VERY Helpful


Answer
If you invest in a good sampler, such as Native Instrument's Kontakt, you can access some of the most realistic sample libraries available. Kontakt not only comes with a large factory sound library, but there is also many third-party sample libraries also.

For example, check out Orange Tree Samples' libraries, which focus on extensive and realistic libraries that are intuitive to play from a MIDI keyboard and also easy to sequence with.

Alternative to hiring session orchestra musicians for own album?




Shane


Heya, I am into composing experimental music which combines popular music, such as Progressive Metal, Jazz, Electronic music, Ambience and film music and many, many other genres, with Orchestral and World music, similar to film music and music that require an orchestra. However, I am not able to afford £50,000 or so for hiring out musicians to record my album (instrumental guitar album) I am producing. I have a budget at around £6000, I am a electric, acoustic and classical guitarist and have only got available a selection of guitars and Cubase/ Sibelius music software, I have looked at sampling but sometimes they are not realistic enough, anyone suggest some hardware or software which has some realistic orchestra and world music instruments. What do film music musicianâs use that don't have the money to hire a full orchestra for world music. I listen to some of the works in film music and symphonic metal bands (e.g. therion and nightwish) and many actually have hired out real orchestras for their albums/ compositions, I want to get into composing and producing my own records, I have some basic knowledge of producing records and mixing etc in A level music technology and how to write classical music in A level music (classical) but I havenât got the budget for hiring out an orchestra, any suggestions? Btw I'm a first year student (second year in september) at Sixth form College and doing Music, Music Technology, Film Studies and Computing to give you a understanding on the resources I have available and sort of experience I have.
Ableton Live 8 seems like good software which relies on samples, but I haven't bought it yet and not sure what the software is like for orchestra instruments
Ableton Live 8 seems like good software which relies on samples, but I haven't bought it yet and not sure what the software is like for orchestra instruments



Answer
There are some pretty advanced samplers and sample libraries out there that can be quite convincing if you're good enough at sequencing.

Personally, I like NI's Kontakt. It's a VERY advanced sampler, and while the included libraries are quite good, when you combine it with something like the VSL or Miroslav library you can get some really great sounding stuff.

As I said earlier, it's really more about your sequencing abilities than the specific samples you're using. If you really understand that instruments you're writing for/trying to mimic, then you know how to write in lots of subtleties that can really take something to the next level.

Ableton Live isn't the way to go. It's basically live DJ software and is more suited to loop-based music, not orchestral mock-ups. When I'm not doing anything with audio, I usually prefer to use Logic. If I'm using audio, I gravitate towards ProTools, however more recent versions of ProTools have had much better tools for MIDI sequencing, so I find myself using Logic less and less.

I know that Danny Elfman does all of his mock-ups in Digital Performer. Other than the LA Scoring Strings library, I'm not sure what else he uses.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Want to begin sampling...But where to start?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment