Sunday, January 5, 2014

What is the best kind of acoustic guitar microphone to buy?

best acoustic guitar 350
 on Vintage Yamaha FG 350 Acoustic Guitar MIJ - Guitar museum
best acoustic guitar 350 image



josiemacla


I have a regular acoustic guitar and I'm starting to perform live locally. I need a way to mic my guitar to an amp or a speaker. I really would like an acoustic guitar microphone. I hear that having your guitar turned into an acoustic/electric can ruin the sound quality and value of the instrument. My question is, what is the best type of microphone I can buy for my guitar with the best sound quality, and where can I buy it?


Answer
Hi,

If you basically strum the guitar, an undersaddle pickup will be the best for you. Fishman makes some decent ones. A decent guitar store can install it for you. They can install it without changing your guitar. It is a flat extremely thin pickup that fits under your saddle, they will replace your end pin with an end pin jack, so there is virtually no difference. I have one on my Taylor and I wouldnt do anything to hurt my guitar. Also it doesnt feedback much like a microphone.

If you are really looking for an instrument microphone, Id suggest a Shure sm81. It sells for about $350.

What is a good acoustic guitar for a 13 year old beginner?




Matrix


I am a 13 year old girl, and I enjoy playing music, I already play the piano, clarinet, and flute :)
I''ve been interested in starting acoustic guitar for a while now, but I'm not sure what guitar will be good for me. I am about 5 feet 1 inches, so I'm pretty short for my age, and like I said, I am a 13 year old girl. So I am wondering what guitar is pretty good quality, but not too expensive (under $250, since I'm just beginning), for a 13 year old girl.

Thanks!! :DDD



Answer
I also play clarinet, flute, guitar and some piano, although my main instrument was saxophone in college. Anyway do you know anyone who plays or have a good music shop in your area with an acoustic selection? If so, it'd be best to take some time and try to get a feel for each guitar and, if possible, even have someone play it for you.

You'll most likely get a steel string acoustic unless you're interested in a classical, nylon string guitar. But you can try out the different sizes and I'm guessing you may like smaller ones like the OO or OOO/OM sizes. (I know the terms can be confusing, but you can get a visual and some details here: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/guitars/sizetype.html ). Personally, I'm 6'2" and still prefer the OM/000 size, mainly as I like the balanced sound.

As for specific brands and names, that can be difficult as guitars are made of wood and will all be a little different. For lower priced guitars I've been impressed with Godin, a Canadian company that makes Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie and others. They have an Art & Lutherie AMI acoustic, which is fairly small but pretty nice. It's not quite in your budget, though. I think they sell for around $350 new. You can see them here: http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/ami.htm

Other than that, I've seen some very nice Yamahas and Alvarez guitars at or close to your budget, so they are out there. It may be harder to find one that's not a large dreadnought style, but they do exist.

Oh, unlike with the other instruments, your fingers will sting a bit while you're learning, but that'll go away after a while. Enjoy finding a new instrument and learning it!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is the best kind of acoustic guitar microphone to buy?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment