Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How do people learn how to play guitar on there own?

how to tune acoustic guitar for beginners without tuner
 on ... white shark jumping wallpaper quilting patterns for beginners free
how to tune acoustic guitar for beginners without tuner image



Eric Torre


I'm starting out and plan on making a rock band I need advice on teaching your self to play guitar because I heard of a lot of musicians teaching the selves


Answer
I think that lessons are the best way to learn to play any instrument. B U T they need to be from a competent, qualified person who actually knows, not only about guitar and how to play it, but also how to teach. It seems that there are people being "taught" by people who are either clueless or don't teach how to play the guitar but, instead, show the student where to put their fingers to play a specific song - the way tablature does.

A G O O D teacher is the best way to learn but I certainly don't subscribe to the view that "a teacher" is the only way to learn or that this huge percentage of people who try to teach themselves give up - where are these figures from? "Giving up" is down to attitude - we've had a load of questions from "beginners" who have sore fingers, they can't use their tuners (and are too dumb to think of reading the instructions) or they can't hold down a chord without muting some of the strings ("Should I get my guitar checked out?"). These people have given up before they've started!

Like many people, I taught myself in the 1970s, when I was quite old - about 17 or 18 I think. I started by learning the basics: the names of the notes over the first three or four frets, where those notes were on a musical stave, basic chords, barre chords etc. Gradually, as I had some skills to apply, I started trying to accompany songs and pick out tunes. I learnt a couple of versions of the major scale and the blues scale, I learnt basic finger picking, I picked up any bits and pieces I could. Improvements really occurred when I bought a tape recorder to play with and when I joined my first band.

Many well-known, well-respected players of that era were self taught. I learnt from books - I began with Play in a Day by Bert Weedon and gradually added to it, other general beginners books, flat picking, finger picking etc. even before I had a guitar I read and watched everything I could find to do with guitars.

This was before electronic tuners, DVDs and the Internet. Now, in the 21st century, I am appalled at how little many people seem to know. Some of the "questions" posted here are beyond belief! There are maybe four or five regular contributors to this site who always give good sensible answers to, sometimes rather dumb, questions. But most of the rest... God help us.

I would advise any beginners to avoid the Internet and You Tube. Watching videos seems appealing as it requires no effort but it wont help you learn to play and there are some atrocious "teachers" out there. Two are regularly recommended here: one doesn't know what an acoustic guitar is, the other, whilst he tries to be "hip", doesn't know what a fret is and doesn't understand the distinction between top and bottom or low and high strings!

I feel a lot better now - I'm off to take my tablets and have a cold shower!

What do I need in order to tune an acoustic guitar?




Ashley


Also, can anyone refer me to any good books/websites for begginers' lessons?


Answer
It's best to start by tuning the 6th string to the pitch of "E" with some type of tuner like a tuning fork, pitch pipes, piano or an electronic tuner. The "low E" string is another name for the 6th string. Once you've got that done, you press you index finger of left hand on the low E string between the 4th and 5th frets without touching any other strings, pick that string and hold the note. While allowing that note to play pick the open 5th string and let that note hold also. While both notes are being allowed to be heard adjust the tension of the 5th string until the pitches of both strings match exactly. You may have to do this a number of times until the desired pitch is attained.
Once you have the 6th and 5th string tuned repeat the process with the 5th & 4th string, then with the 4th & 3rd String.

Now the tuning process changes alittle when you get to the 3rd & 2nd strings. The only difference is you need to press between the " 3rd and 4th" frets of the 3rd string, then pick the 3rd & the opened 2nd string to tune. Then for the 2nd & 1st string the process goes back to the 5th fret 2nd string & open 1st string.

Now if you have an electronic tuner your tune each string to match these pitches:

6th string = E

5th string = A

4th string = D

3rd string = G

2nd string = B

1st string = E

Regarding books and lessons and to be entirely honest, I would spend less and not more on a books and lessons in the beginning.

I know it sounds silly but I would really recommend the Guitar Book for Dummies. It has a lot of good beginner guitar information and best of all you can pick up a used copy for around 5 bucks or less on Amazon.

Hope this helps......




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do people learn how to play guitar on there own?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment