Thursday, December 26, 2013

What is the best way to amplify my acoustic guitar without major modifications?

best acoustic guitars makes
 on Choose the best acoustic guitar for you.
best acoustic guitars makes image



Melissa


Hi guys. My name is Melissa and I'm trying to figure out the best option to amplify my acoustic guitar without making any major modifications such as drilling or widening holes. My acoustic guitar is a very old Gibson which was given to me by my grandfather who played jazz guitar in swing bands during World War 2. They really were the greatest generation. He passed away recently and the night before he passed, we spent time together. He told me I should find a way to amplify the guitar so I can play it through an electric amp. I learned to play on this guitar and always practice acoustically. The tone is amazing on this guitar and it would sound great through an amplifier. Right now, I just hear everything through the circular soundhole.

Any advice or information would help. If you can tell me a particular part name or brand. Thanks so much!



Answer
Either a magnetic soundhole pickup like the one Mikey linked to, or a cheap stick-on transducer like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_acoustic/Schatten_Soundboard_Transducer.html
You could just let the jack hang if you didn't want to permanently mod the guitar. Maybe put the transducer inside the guitar if you're not certain about whether the adhesive might leave a mark.

Instructions can also be found on the web for making your own transducer - I remember doing it many years ago using the piezo element from a Radio Shack doorbell buzzer. ;) Didn't sound like much but it was cheap!

A question about the sound my guitar makes when sliding between frets?




Mayonaise


My acoustic guitar makes quite a screeching noise whenever I move up or down the fretboard when using bar chords (or a chord which particularly slides the low E). Can this be avoided by playing differently, or are the strings at fault (or even the guitar?)?


Answer
That's typical of acoustics. It also largely has to do with the strings. If you're using phosphor bronze strings (the standard for acoustics), they're gonna have more noise than steel/nickel strings. Also, you're likely using roundwound, which are the most common kind but by default noisy.

I'd suggest trying different strings. DR's flatwound strings are great - I use them on my acoustic for the same reason. Flatwound strings have smooth winding, so don't make noise (and also don't hurt your fingers as much). And since they're technically electric guitar strings (I'll get to that), they're steel w/ nickel coating, not phosphor bronze. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-Legend-Flatwound-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Lite?sku=105254

As for being electric strings... it should be noted that, until about the mid 70s, there was no difference between electric and acoustic strings, so acoustic strings were... nickel and steel (this is what was used for all the great folk albums of the 60s). Phosphor bronze was introduced to give a brighter sound, and it somehow just took off. But nickel/steel strings will give the guitar a warmer and rounder sound. Nevermind that it says "electric" on the package. Also, since they have round cores, they'll be easier to bend. Likewise, if it's an electric-acoustic, since nickel and steel (iron) are both highly magnetic, you'll get a more natural and fuller acoustic sound with it plugged in than w/ bronze (mostly copper and tin - not highly magnetic) strings.

So yeah... flatwound electric strings will likely solve the problem you're having and then some. Just make sure to get a thick gauge (12 or 13).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is the best way to amplify my acoustic guitar without major modifications?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment